Hankering for a steak? Join the club. If you want something with just a bit of zing, try the following:
Ingredients for the steak
- 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 lb grilling steaks (e.g. rib eye)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 (12 ounces) jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 tablespoon chipotle pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup pre-chopped green onions
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter, chilled
How to cook the steak
- Pre-heat your grill/pan on medium heat.
- Combine 2 teaspoons of chili powder, salt, and brown sugar; then coat the steaks on all sides with oil and chili seasoning.
- Place the steaks on the grill, then cook them for 6 to 8 minutes, turning them occasionally, or until the heat reaches 145 degrees Fahrenheit (for medium rare). Let the steaks stand for 5 minutes.
- Put the peppers, pepper sauce, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, and green onions in a food processor bowl, then process everything until it’s smooth. Transfer the sauce to a saucepan; bring then grill/pan to a simmer on low (1–2 minutes). In the meantime, cut the unsalted butter into small cubes. Remove the grill/pan from heat; whisk in the butter until it blends.
- Serve the sauce over the steaks.