Boeing have just unveiled their futuristic prototype dubbed Bird of Prey. In 1992 Alan Wiechman, lead designer of the plane found his inspiration from the Klingon ship out of Star Trek III: The Search for Spock.
Fast forward to 2002 and the project was declassified. It’s now on display at the Air Force Museum in Dayton, OH. Who knows what else Boeing have in development but see below for the Bird of Prey and other recent black unclassified projects.
Phantom works logo (left), similar to Lockheed’s skunk works.
Other known projects:
- Boeing Phantom Eye: High Altitude Long Endurance, reconnaissance drone
- Boeing Phantom Ray: Unmanned flying test bed for advanced air system technologies
- Boeing X-51 Wave-rider: Hypersonic vehicle
- Boeing Condor: High Altitude Long Endurance concept drone
- McDonnell Douglas YF-23: Black Widow Advanced Fighter concept
- McDonnell Douglas A-12 Avenger II: Advanced Navy Stealth Fighter concept
- Boeing X-32 Joint Strike Fighter
- Boeing Bird of Prey: stealth fighter UAV demonstrator
- Boeing A160 Hummingbird UAV helicopter
- Boeing X-40
- Boeing X-45 UCAV
- Boeing X-37 Advanced Technology Demonstrator
- Boeing Pelican ULTRA
- Boeing X-48 Blended Wing Body demonstrator
- X-53 Active Aeroelastic Wing
- Quad TiltRotor (with Bell Helicopter)
- F/A-XX: sixth generation fighter concept